Threats against Kåre Torvholm and his family
Kåre Torvholm (1941-2000) was a central person in the struggle against corruption and abuse of power in Norway. He was a fisherman who disclosed among other things fraudulent reports from the fishing industry and giving the parliament wrongful information. The latter lead to the fishermen getting less sick leave than they otherwise could have gotten. On January 17, 2000, the local newspaper Sunnmørsposten published an article written by journalist Kjetil Haanes. The article had the title "Ingen reagerer på drapstruslar" (No one reacts to death threats). The text was accompnied by a photo og Torvholm's daughter Katrin, her two months old daughter Sara and Katrin's mother in law, Anne Lise Frøystad. The following was the introduction to the article:
"Katrin Torvholm is terrified by the prospect that her two months old daughter will be victim to a planned accident. Death threats against Sara and two cousins have been mediated. Katrin has got a feeling that no one takes the threats seriously, as they concern the family of the controversial resident of Moltustranda, Kåre Torvholm."
The article continues:
"- Because this concerns the Torvholm family, no one reacts. The attitude seems to be that we deserve what happens now. We feel unprotected, Katrin Torvholm says.
It was on the night before December 19 that a friend of Kåre Torvholm who is in a central position, called Kåre and told that orders had been issued to neutralize Kåre Torvholm and two of his close collaborators.
The message was unambiguous. Kåre Torvholm was the first one to be taken, but not directly. In a matter of short time, Torvholm's three grandchildren, Sara, Kristoffer and Andreas, would become victims of an accident.
No empty threats
- I know the person who called and warned us, and I know who are behind the death threats. These are no bulshit people.
Later, the tape has been played to the mayor, sheriff,
members of formannskapet [central municipal politicians] and other people
in the region. The only person who has contacted Torvholm afterwards is
sheriff Odd Kulø in Ulstein og Hareid. The others have been silent.
- I have accustomed myself to much, and I have experienced sundry threats and harassemnt towards my father and the rest of the family. I have managed to live with that. It is something totally different when the third generation also suffers.
- I cannot sleep at night and I need people around me all the time. I am constantly watching out for cars and unexpected sounds. And I fear that I might harm someone innocent due to my fear. It is a terrible experience, Katrin Torvholm says.
Frightening and surreal
Proud of her father
On 21. June, 2000, the local Radio station Radio Modum aired the first program in the series "Det skjulte Norge" ("The veiled Norway"). During the program, Radio Modum played a tape that demonstrated how Torvhom was received when he called the prime minister's office to tell about death threats against his grandchildren.
Torvholm soon realised that the phone call had been abrupted. Torvholm once again called the telephone central at the prime minister's office and was redirected to secretary Inger Andersen. He was then told that he had called Oslo Renholdsverk (Oslo Renovation Department). This conversation was soon brought to an end and Torvholm once more called the prime minister's office. He was once more redirected to secretary Inger Andersen. The same voice that just had presented herself as 'Oslo Renholdsverk', now vas the voice of secretary Inger Andersen at the prime minister's office.
Erik Strand 19. September 2016